Are you looking for a great audio system for your motorcycle? Well, we got a lot on the market right? However, certainly, you can find one that is suitable for your bike like what we are going to review in this post. We are going to talk about one of the popular speaker systems today, the BOSS MCBK470B. In this review, we will first look at its specifications which are the official release of the manufacturer. Next, I will give my honest opinion. Then I will provide some additional information to answer some questions you have or to cover the broader topic regarding this scooter.
With the Boss MCBK470B, you can listen to your favorite music while you are on the road with your bike. Though there is a certain limit to how much you can hear the sound of your audio system especially when you are at a higher speed. That is expected when you are on a loud bike. However, the Boss MCBK470B according to some users can keep up with that revving engine. Interesting right? Let’s see if this is what it claims.
The Boss MCBK470B speakers are full-range, high-definition, and 3-inch. Its speakers provide the broadest range of sound, which is very pleasant to listen to. Due to its quality, you can hear the details of the music more clearly even at high engine sound or speed, including external noises. It has a class D amplifier. Class D amplifiers are presented when it comes to efficiency, longevity thermal management, and weight savings.
It has wired volume control for easier control of its volume. If you want to use your smartphone as an audio source; it has Bluetooth capability so that you can connect your smart devices wirelessly so you can stream your favorite music to any music streaming services such as Spotify, Pandora, and others.
Here are the extra features of Boss MCBK470B:
- 3.5 mm Aux Input Compatible with Audio Output of Smartphones and MP3 Players
- Frequency Response 80Hz to 15KHz, SN> 85dB, THD: <0.01%
- Channel Separation:> 50 dB
- Two Pairs Black 3 “Full Range Speakers Feature a Built-in Bluetooth Wireless Streaming Receiver-No Head Unit Needed
- Bluetooth Audio Streaming – Stream your Favorite Music or Music Service like Spotify or Pandora Wirelessly
- 1000 Watt Max Amplifier (Dimensions 3.9 “x 3.1” x 1.5 “) with Wired Remote Volume Control
- Great for 12V Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs!
Let us clarify the key features mentioned above and some common to the audio systems available today in the market.
IPX Rating: It is a standard that indicates the level of protection of a product against water. Its range is from unprotected or IPX0 to IPX8 or complete immersion in water and close-range, continuous high pressure and high-temperature spray downs or IPX9K.
Class A/B Amplifiers: This class of amplifiers has long been known for its ability to produce good quality sound while performing more efficiently compared to Class A amplifiers.
AUX Input: This will allow you to connect to the audio output of external devices such as smartphones and MP3 players for a more extended music experience.
Audio Streaming: This, in turn, is an audio protocol of Bluetooth technology. This profile will allow audio to be streamed wirelessly from your compatible device, such as smartphones to the source unit so you can enjoy your favorite music.
Wireless Remote Control: This control will give you access to the key functions of the unit.
Remote Volume Control: This will allow you to adjust the system volume while on the ride.
Let’s compare BOSS MCBK470B to other BOSS speaker systems, MCBK420B, MC470B, and MC420B.
MCBK470B is two pairs of black 3″ full-range speakers that feature a built-in Bluetooth wireless streaming receiver – no head unit needed.
MCBK420B is a pair of black 3″ full-range speakers that feature a built-in Bluetooth wireless streaming receiver – no head unit needed.
MC470B is two pairs of chrome 3″ full-range speakers that feature a built-in Bluetooth wireless streaming receiver – no head unit is needed
MC420B is a pair of chrome 3″ full-range speakers.
MCBK470B, MCBK420B, MC470B, and MC420B have 3.5 mm AUX Input compatible with the audio output of smartphones and MP3 players.
MCBK470B, MCBK420B, MC470B, and MC420B have Bluetooth audio streaming – stream your favorite music or music service like Spotify or Pandora wirelessly.
MCBK470B and MC470B are 1000 Watt Max Amplifiers (Dimensions 3.9″ x 3.1″ x 1.5″) with Wired Remote Volume Control.
MCBK420B and MC420B are 600 Watt Max Amplifiers (Dimensions 3.1″ x 3.1″ x 1.5″) with Wired Remote Volume Control.
MCBK470B, MCBK420B, MC470B, and MC420B have frequency response of 80Hz to 15KHz, SN >85dB, THD: < 0.01% with Channel Separation: >50 dB.
MCBK470B, MCBK420B, MC470B, and MC420B include mounting brackets adjustable to fit 0.75″ to 1.25″ handlebars.
With all four speakers installed, you can hear the sound of the system, even if the bike is at 75 mph. Now when it comes to the installation, it doesn’t have any instructions included. The paper included with it has some instructions but showing only the wiring diagram, speaker wires, and volume control. However, the installation is not that difficult overall. You can search the internet for directions or look at the exact model of the unit on YouTube, and you can find plenty of instructions there. If you are not comfortable with that, then you can also call their customer support, and they will guide you on the proper installation of the system.
There is a bit of a challenge when it comes to attaching the clamps to close on the engine guard. You will need a pair of vise grips to close the clamp and install the screw and nut. You can also use foam to place between the clamps and the engine guard.
Don’t expect a good bass with this unit because like the majority of motorcycle speakers on the market today, they don’t have that decent bass. But if this is not an issue for you then these are good speakers with a lot of output.
It’s easy to pair with your smartphone wirelessly. You can also use the standard AUX ports if you prefer them. Its amplifier is also well made and does not heat up. But comparing the Bluetooth and AUX output, AUX provides clearer output sounds.
When it comes to battery consumption, it drains the battery even when not in use. It is not ideal, but most speaker systems available work this way. It is a common issue for most motorcycle speakers. So we can expect this to happen, so always keep that in mind.
- The MCBK470B (speakers+amplifier) is weatherproof or in other words, water-resistant. It is not waterproof. This setup can resist the penetration of water to some degree but not entirely.
- The speaker leads are on the short side & hard-wired into the plug so you will have to cut and solder in a length of wire to get to the rear of the bike.
- Depending on where you mount the amp you may have to modify the front leads as well. The fact that all wires are hard-wired into the main plug is the single drawback to the Boss systems.
- It will work on any 12v system car, boat, motorcycle, slingshot, or scooter.
- The MCBK470B is compatible with an FM radio provided the FM radio features an auxiliary output.
- You may connect the MCBK470B directly to the vehicle’s battery, however, you must manually disconnect the MCBK470B after use to avoid draining your vehicle’s battery.
- There should be a volume control knob that comes with the system. Make sure the volume on your phone is turned up.
- The MCBK470B does come with mounting hardware. The speaker includes mounting brackets adjustable to fit 0.75 “to 1.25” bars.
- You cannot wire both left and right speakers together in series to reduce the amount of wire you need to run because the amp controls the amperage to each wire which controls the amperage to the speakers on that wire. So it would reduce the sound output dramatically.
- The MCBK470B was designed to handle only four speakers, adding more will not only void the warranty but it will also cause the MCBK470B to perform poorly.
- No external buttons or switches on the amp.
- An on/off toggle switch could be wired in but unnecessary.
- It comes with a standard fuse built inside the amplifier.
- The MCBK470B unobstructed can have a solid Bluetooth signal at 30 feet away.
- The way they are designed they are made to plug into the amplifier it comes with. If you would like to hook it up to a head unit and bypass the amplifier. You will have to alter the system which is NOT advisable.
- Excellent sound quality overall. The bass is minimal.
- The amplifier came pre-wired with plugs for the speakers.
- The amp runs off the motorcycle’s electrical system. It does not need to charge and be recharged.
- The MCBK470B comes with in-line volume control.
- The MCBK470B does not have adjustable bass or an add-on subwoofer available.
- The systems do not have RCA inputs available for this type of setup, but if you have a dual Bluetooth phone, it can be done.
- The amplifier for this unit was designed for the speakers that it comes with.
- These speakers and amps are made for a motorcycle but if you are handy with fabricating mounts and are savvy with wiring it is possible. However, you would more than likely have to get the extended wire as they aren’t that long.
- This unit does not have fading options, you will need to place the speakers according to your personal needs.
- The unit runs off 12 volts. If you don’t have anything that keeps the battery charged the battery will die after a few hours.
Our take on BOSS Audio Systems MCBK470B
This audio system is a great option among all the motorcycle speakers on the market. Looking at its specifications and users’ responses you can see that it deserves to be on that top list of choices. For big bikes that run frequently around 60 to 75 mph then you can still hear its sound and make people’s heads turn when you pass by. It depends if that might be comfortable for you or not. But who cares right? As long as you can hear your favorite music along with that revving engine sound.
Again the sound is good, however, do not expect much bass because it has almost no bass mostly, mid and high sounds. However, overall the sound is really good considering its price and size. You will all get the necessary features you need while riding.
This post is our honest in-depth review including the pros and cons scattered in the contents. Aside from discussing each essential feature, we intend not to be biased as much as possible to our take. If there are good things, we emphasize and vice versa. We hope that through this review, you will have enough knowledge about BOSS MCBK470B and help you decide if it is suitable for your bike.
If you want a further guide or reference to help you choose a suitable speaker system available on the market today for your motorcycle, you can check our buying guide here. Or you can check our top picks here depending on the category you prefer.